Aptly called the ‘Miracle Tree’, Moringa oleifera has long been touted for its incredible nutritional benefits around the world; however, in North America this power packed superfood is relatively new to the nutritional scene. Here are five facts you may not know about this special plant:
- One serving of Moringa contains more than 90 nutrients, including 10 essential vitamins, 10 essential minerals, and 18 amino acids; it’s also an excellent source of protein and fiber.
- Moringa measures up impressively against other food sources. One serving of Moringa boasts:
- 7 X the Vitamin C of Oranges
- 4 X the Vitamin A of Carrots
- 4 X the Calcium of Milk
- 7 X the Potassium of Bananas
- 2 X the Protein of Yogurt
- 3 X the Iron of Spinach
- Moringa oleifera already grows sustainably in some of the world’s most impoverished communities, throughout India, South America and Africa. It can be grown easily even in challenging climates, and its leaves are relatively easy to cultivate.
- Moringa is a proven effective anti-inflammatory due to its isothiocyanates, flavonoids, and phenolic acid.
- Moringa has been proven effective in purifying water. The plant’s isothiocyanates, have anti-bacterial properties allowing it to bind to impurities, acting as detoxification tool.
Vytogo’s Moringa is sustainably sourced in South America through local partnerships that empower and educate farmers on best practices for harvesting and processing. For more information on Moringa, we recommend the following resources:
- Moringa oleifera: A review on nutritive importance and its medicinal application (Science Direct)
- Six Science-Based Health Benefits of Moringa Oleifera (Authority Nutrition)
- Researchers study inexpensive process to clean water in developing nations (Penn State)